BLOT-3 PLN, Inclusion, and Community Engagement

This PLN study is different from the previous ones. I will be creating blog posts about inclusion and community engagement based on education. We as students have always learned in a learning environment that follows the school model of teaching and learning. Shelley Moore and Leyton Schnellert suggest that the factory model approach to education should not be used now. “A model where our job as educators (and especially special educators) is to identify students who aren’t wavy and fix them. (Moore, S) ” Such a model of teaching is terrible. The fact is that no one is exactly the same unless he is a robot. ” The difference in teaching to diversity, however, is that we don’t start with our deficits; we start with our strengths, and this includes students, teachers, support staff, custodians, bus drivers, and parents”(Moore, S). An inclusive and diverse approach to education allows for a better learning environment for students. On the other hand, a more inclusive education model can enhance the PLN of students, who can meet new partners on various platforms with different strengths.

• How does social media use in public discourse potentially challenge advocacy communications?

The spread of public discourse is all based on social platforms. We can spread information through social media. In China, sometimes there is a possibility that some negative statements or bad words are blocked on social media platforms. Social media platforms will randomly check and delete some comments to avoid bad influence on minors. These challenges often hinder the propagation of public discourse.

• How diverse is your existing PLN?

My PLN has changed dramatically this year. I think it might be because it’s all online courses this year. My pln is very scarce. In fact I’m someone who doesn’t interact with friends very often, so my PLN wasn’t diverse before. Because of the online courses this year, my professors and classmates have made a big difference in my PLN. For example, ZOOM allows for face-to-face interaction with the instructor and Mattermost allows for interaction with more classmates.

• In your PLN, are you learning from a variety of voices?

Now in my PLN, I often learn from various sounds. For example, creating a grouping with classmates in TEAMS, just like Mattermost, to interact effectively with them. Expanding PLN on Linkedin to share information or listen to other people’s suggestions or opinions.

• How does social media engage in advocacy communications?

In my opinion, the spread of social media publicity is very fast. As long as the communicator can use very attractive topic publicity can easily achieve the desired effect. When I was on EDCI-337, I played a game of rumor mongering. This game is to create false news by using various words that can attract people to get more attention. If you are interested you can try it, this is the site: https://GetBadNews.com/

– How can you use a diverse PLN to broaden views of inclusion in a professional community?

They have said that “the only thing the students have in common is their year of birth. (Moore, S)” This also means that everyone we know in the professional community has different strengths. Inclusive professional communities then get new perspectives from more diverse people. The more people you connect with, the more insights you will absorb from others. Group discussions are a good example of expanding the inclusiveness of a community. Teachers encourage students to discuss and express their views freely. Each student acts as a listener and talker. Then the discussion group is very inclusive.

– In your professional setting of choice, do you think inclusion is actively embraced?

I think the inclusion of education majors is positively accepted. Schools are not restraining the nature of students, especially for young children. When I was a kid, some little kids were classified as disobedient because they liked to run, or jump. Or there were separate arrangements for students because they were not doing well academically. Nowadays, the way of education is inclusive and tolerant. Teachers are very tolerant of children’s behavior and strengths and weaknesses. I think inclusiveness in either professional field has increased tremendously now.

– What is the learning outcome of your evolving PLN and how are you ensuring your continued exposure to diversity and inclusion?

I have learned more and more about social media this year, which has enhanced my PLN. My learning outcome is to post more opinions during the learning process. I think it is important to communicate more when we are learning or networking with people in the same field. There are so many social platforms we can use and so many people we can reach out to, so communicating more is the best way to continue to reach out to diversity and inclusion.

– How has your thinking about inclusion and PLN evolved after reviewing the videos and readings?

By reading the sources, I realized that inclusiveness is very heavy in every professional field. For myself, I think I am very inclusive of PLN. However, in my PLN is more good at listening and less good at expressing. I think this is where I need to change. I hope I can do both listening and expressing in PLN.

Reference

Moore, S. (2017). One without the other : Stories of unity through diversity and inclusion. ProQuest Ebook Central https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/lib/uvic/reader.action?docID=4832579&ppg=6

One comment

1. tiancizhou

Hi Wei. Thank you for your blog!

In order to maintain social stability, some negative comments on social media will be deleted. This can really hinder the spread of public discourse.

Your PLN changes very similar to mine. Before the school started online courses, my PLN was also very scarce. However, because of online courses, I had to use many new PLNs to communicate with my classmates and teachers. Mattermost of this semester is a PLN I have just come into contact with. I also find that PLN is of great help to our study.