Blog 6: Engaging your PLN

Blog 6: Engaging your PLN

After these six weeks of study, I have a better understanding of PLN. I think I will continue to use the content and network I created. Digital media has allowed us to connect with many strangers through various platforms, giving us a broader source of information. As del mentioned, “With the resultant capacity of transmitting information and pictures thousands of miles across the world, people are now able to access information at the snap of the fingertips.(Del)”

In edci338, I got an idea about PLN. Before, when I used social platforms I was more inclined to read and understand personally and didn’t make connections with strangers. However, through this semester, I think expanding my PLN will be helpful to me. I can meet more people and get more information from them when I expand my PLN. Likewise, whether I am studying or working, expanding our PLN is a better way to learn about professional content. Overall, the interaction mode in the digital platform is not only a way to learn new information, but also to improve our relationships.

According to del’s survey, “Over the past decades, Internet and mobile communication have spread dramatically at a global scale. (Del) ” This also suggests that PLN is not difficult to bring from the local community to the global community. For example, if I post on my Facebook about culture in my hometown and my friends in my Facebook are from all over the world, if someone is curious about what I have to say, then we might set up a chat room and make more connections. And in our group discussions, international students and Canadians make connections, so I think being on the Mattermost platform every week is also a way for my pln to be brought from the local community to the global community.

In our Matternmost group, we do a weekly blog share to make it easier for other group members to read. I didn’t want to share my blog with the group at first because I’m not very good at expanding my PLN. In fact, I’m not good at communicating with strangers on other platforms either. After this semester, I found that I learned more from my group members’ blogs by sharing my own blog and reading others’ blogs. This also proves that the most important thing to expand our PLN is communication. So far, my usage of Matternmost has gradually increased, and I have been able to communicate with more people from other platforms. This is progress for me.
In other ways, digital media enriches our knowledge, but it is also important to be vigilant. Our digital platforms are full of fake news and traps that are not absent. We also need to keep our heads above water when we read.

Nice to work with you all.

Reference:

Del Giudice M. (2014) From Information Society to Network Society: The Challenge. In: Social Media and Emerging Economies. SpringerBriefs in Business. Springer, Cham. https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/10.1007/978-3-319-02490-5_5

1. tiancizhou

Hi Wei.
    Thank you for your blog! I used to find communication a very annoying thing. Especially when I communicate with strangers, it makes me nervous and awkward. However, after learning and using PLN in the past few weeks, I found that communication is not as terrible as I imagined. Through PLN, I communicated with my team members in a nice way, which made me further understand the importance of PLN.

All in all, I really enjoy working with you this semester. Hopefully we’ll all make better use of PLN.

2. Xin Yu

Very good post, I agree with your point with the ability of messages and pictures to travel thousands of miles around the world, people can now access information at the click of a finger. We can get the news very quickly through PLN.