Blog-5: PLN

Blog-5: PLN

The delivery of messages depends on everyone in the community. If everyone in the community is very active, then messages are delivered very quickly. Likewise, different kinds of messages will achieve different results in different types of professional communities. For example, if I communicate a message about the education profession in a gaming professional community, then this may result in no one caring about the message. In the Boarding School example, you’ll find that Angela Sterritt’s followers are news-focused, so they’re very quick to deliver some social news.
In the past few weeks, our lives have been challenged by the impact of covid-19. Many of us will have seen a variety of news from various social platforms. I have seen posts about hating China because the first instance of covid-19 was seen in China. This brings up Mr. baker’s theme that change comes from education as well as an understanding of the truth. Some of the information we see on social platforms and what others say can easily narrow our eyes. Many times we think what we see is the truth, but if we explore and understand we will find that it is not. Especially in the era of rapid information development, you will find that fake news spreads far more quickly than real news.

how does social media help expand education and associated needed communications? 

I think social media has a role in education to enrich knowledge. Whether in the classroom or in community discussions, we can enrich our knowledge through a variety of channels. In the classroom we read articles through links, and in community discussions we can discuss with people online and answer questions anytime, anywhere. Social media allows us to share more information related to our profession to the community. We will also get more knowledge about our profession from different sources. We expand our education and communication in this interactive mode.

The risk of social media communication is different. The risk in social media depends on your social status and interpersonal relationship. If you are a normal person then you make a statement that your friends will see and maybe change the impression of you. On the other hand, if you are a teacher and you post negative comments on social media platforms then not only will you have a bad influence on your students, your job may also be at risk. To avoid the risk, we should all post appropriate comments in our PLN community, no matter what our profession is.

1. tiancizhou

I quite agree with your views on community. An active community is very important. At the same time, I feel that the only way to spread information is to get it out to the right community, as I mentioned in my blog. Social media is also important for education. Communication and discussion is an important part of education and relies on social media for that. However, in terms of the risks of social media, I feel the need to add. Risk in social media depends on more than social status and relationships. The way and attitude of communication are also very important. We should express our ideas in a logical way so as not to argue with others.

2. Xin Yu

You use a good example and I like your point. The COVID-19 pandemic awareness program is available on almost all social media platforms. The campaign for safety and preventive measures to help eradicate the spread of the virus has been helpful to many who are working on multiple ways to eradicate the virus. This is the best approach for the current development of the Internet, which allows people to accelerate the implementation of security measures.

3. itscherieli

Hi Wei,

I totally agree with your example because even before some people called the COVID-19 as WUHAN virus and hated China. Many times we think what we see is the truth, but if we explore and understand, we find it is not. What we need to do is to distinguish the truth of every piece of information, not to follow blindly, and to use social media as a platform to communicate and make positive contributions together to make society and even the world a better place!